Folks, no amount of exercising can help you lose excess body fat, if you do not take care of your eating habits. The way you handle your diet affects your goals for losing body fat and to keep it off, much more than the way you train at the gym.
However, what you shouldn’t do is to obsess about your food or about your body weight. Neither yields good results.
Just eat mindfully. That is, eat only when you are hungry and then, stop eating when you feel satiated.
Think about all the other reasons, when/why/what food you put into your mouth.
Emotional binging is one of the many eating disorders, characterized by compulsive overeating. People consume huge amounts of food whenever they feel out of control and moreover feel powerless to stop. This usually happens late evenings/nights.
Binge eaters often eat even when they’re not hungry and continue to eat long after they are full. They may also gorge themselves as fast as they can while barely registering what they’re eating or tasting.
Some of the key features of binge eating disorder are:
- Frequent episodes of uncontrollable binge eating.
- Feeling distressed/upset during or after bingeing.
People with binge eating disorder, struggle with feelings of guilt, disgust, and depression. They worry about what the compulsive eating will do to their bodies and beat themselves up for their lack of self-control. They desperately want to stop binge eating, but feel like they can’t.
Some tips to stop emotional eating:
- Set up a healthy home environment – avoid stacking junk food at home…instead, fill up the stocks with healthy foods such as vegetables and fruits
- Identify the things which trigger emotional eating – keep a food log with comments about your mood, just before episodes of binge eating
- Find satisfying alternatives, both in terms of eating healthy food and getting involved in activities (taking a walk, reading, getting into a real conversation with people etc)
- Talk to people and be part of a group – celebrate your successes
Overall, have a healthy relationship with food, and you will realize all your goals about losing your excess body fat that will enable you to remain healthy for a lifetime.