Reply To: I can't do pull ups because my left arm is very weak. What should I do?

Home Forums Strength and Fitness Forum I can't do pull ups because my left arm is very weak. What should I do? Reply To: I can't do pull ups because my left arm is very weak. What should I do?

BR Srinivasan
Keymaster

I prefer/suggest Chin-ups to Pull-ups, as your biceps are also involved with chin-ups. And so, you are working out more muscles and for that reason, it might just be a bit easier for you too…

If you cannot do even a single pull-up/chin-up…not even a partial…

. Just hang for as long as you can…

. Keep Increasing your hang time, every time…

. Keep trying to get your first pull-up/chin-up partial

If you are able to get a partial repetition

. Pull yourself to as much as you are able to…

. Stay there trying to pull yourself up further (even though you are not going up any)

. After a while come down SLOWWWWWWLYY

. Repeat

This will increase how much you are able to pull yourself up…little by little then, you can achieve your first full rep.

Another way you can try is to find a way to get to the top, with help (such as with another person’s help, or you can jump to the top position….). Then, come down SLOWWWWWLYYYY… Count SLOWWWWLLYYYYY, loudly as you come down… The key word here is SLOWWWWWWLYYY…

Negatives are a GREAT way to increase strength towards your pull-ups/chin-ups.

Some other pointers:

. If you are Overweight, reduce to an appropriate body weight

Pull-ups/Chin-ups need volume… Do them six days of the week…to get over this initial hump/inability to do even one repetition.